Either way, every step counts. And here’s why.
I love my FitBit, and like many other fitness trackers, it sets a starting goal of 10,000 steps per day. The FitBit blog says “…the benefits of a 30-minute daily stroll are nearly boundless, from slowing mental decline and lowering blood pressure, to improving sleep and relieving depression.”
This is supported by the NHS who say that “Setting yourself a target of walking 10,000 steps a day can be a fun way of increasing the amount of physical activity you do…….Walking is classed as a moderate-intensity activity and counts towards your recommended 150 minutes of weekly exercise.”
Well, just look at this list from the NHS website…
It's medically proven that people who do regular physical activity have:
· up to a 35% lower risk of coronary heart disease and stroke
· up to a 50% lower risk of type 2 diabetes
· up to a 50% lower risk of colon cancer
· up to a 20% lower risk of breast cancer
· a 30% lower risk of early death
· up to an 83% lower risk of osteoarthritis
· up to a 68% lower risk of hip fracture
· a 30% lower risk of falls (among older adults)
· up to a 30% lower risk of depression
· up to a 30% lower risk of dementia
Those percentages are staggering aren’t they? Not only can we live longer, we can live happier, just by STEPping up and STEPping out.
And there’s more….
At Walk2Run we are so proud and delighted to be teaming up with Out Of The Blue fundraising to raise money to prevent suicide and support survivors and their families. For me personally it's a way of strengthening the connection between running and surviving suicide, to continue to engage people in that conversation, and to support those on the front line in a tangible way.
How can how can we make every step count?
- Join the Walk2Run groups. There are several weekly sessions; you’re welcome to as many sessions as you want, no need to commit to a number of weeks or anything, just come along and pay as you go. EVERY STEP you take, either walking or running, COUNTS towards your health and happiness.
- Join the Walk2Run groups. Each session costs £3, and every time you pay your £3, 30p is donated to Out Of The Blue Fundraising. EVERY STEP you take COUNTS to support those on the frontline to prevent suicide.
- I’m walking the 100k London to Brighton event in May to support my cousin Mark. Mark is raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support, and I’m fundraising for Out Of The Blue. More details to come, but in the mean time, please follow the links below to make a donation. Many thanks.
Out of the Blue https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/OutoftheBlue
Macmillan Cancer Support https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/L2BCousin
And finally, Confucius say…
“It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop.”
Every Step Counts.
Come and run with us, it might just change your life.