You’ve heard of the hit US TV show “13 Reasons Why”. For all the controversy surrounding it, at least it’s got people talking about SUICIDE. Please read this response, written by a 15 year old girl who came to Walk2Run for the first time this week.
- You can do it anywhere. You can run practically anywhere. Whether on the treadmill or in the park, it’s easy to rack up miles and go the distance. You don’t need fancy equipment or lots of money just tie up your shoes and start running.
- You can meet new people make new friends and even possibly being a new relationship. If you are feeling lonely then join a running group where I am sure you will meet new and exciting people.
- It is very good for your health. Running can keep you fit and out of the doctors. Active people have better hearts, lungs and mental health. So? What are you waiting for get out there and start running.
- Live longer! Who doesn’t want more time to spend with their friends, families or to just be able to smell the fresh air? Even if you feel like you don’t have anyone you might find someone when out running who could change your mind.
- It can improve your self- esteem. It’s been scientifically proven that runners who ran outside gazing at a good view of nature showed increased self-esteem in comparison to a treadmill for example.
- Running improves your body physically as well by strengthening your bones; keeping balance easier which protects knees and tendons in the process. Don’t overdo it though as that can cause injury, just take it slow and steady and you can still see improvements.
- It can improve your sleep. As you use your energy it results in a better sleeping pattern as well as a higher quality of the sleep.
- It is available all day every day. Running is not limited to the winter, summer or any season but it is accessible all year round.
- It is basically priceless. You don’t have to pay £25 a month to go to the gym and run on a treadmill. You don’t need to pay to go to classes or for a trainer, it could only be a few pounds to join a running club then a good pair of footwear and you’re set.
- It can be very fun and relaxing. Just getting out of bed and out of the house and exploring the world can improve your view of life. Meeting new people, seeing new things and being in a safe environment can be mentally beneficial.
- It makes you happier. When you exercise your brain releases a chemical called endorphins. These endorphins interact with your brain which triggers a positive feeling in the body, similar to that of morphine.
- Run your stress away. If you ran for just 1 hour per week it can in fact slightly remodel the brain making it calmer and more stress resistant
- Show your heart, body and mind some loving. It is mentally beneficial as it can improve confidence, self-esteem, and stress and make you happier if you run for 1 hour heart disease could be reduced by half. Then running a further hour can decrease it even more. Then your body, if you weigh 11.5 stone or more you could burn more than 850 calories per hour. So here are 13 reasons to run. Will you start now?
Come and run with us, it might just change your life
For information on safeTALK Suicide Alertness For Everyone, please click the dates below.
Or to arrange training for your organisation please contact me at Jacky @Walk2Run.org